From: k8daa@k8daa.groups.io [mailto:k8daa@k8daa.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan Beagley
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2019 3:58 PM
To: k8daa@k8daa.groups.io
Subject: [k8daa] DC-DC Voltage booster

Has anyone used anything like this with success?

https://www.amazon.com/Regulator-13-8V15A-DCMWX-converter-waterproof/dp/B01N4EIJVX

Or is there anything designed specifically for amateur radio use other
than the MFJ-4416C?

73

Alan NV8A

Alan Beagley

The goal is to maintain the voltage to my radio at 13.8 when/if running from my two GC2 batteries (Golf Cart batteries that are designed to be run down a fair way before recharging) in series. Even on float charge, the voltage is only 13.6, and that will fall off once the AC supply fails.

73

Alan NV8A

On 5/6/19 4:25 PM, Ed Walters K8DI wrote:
Given my recent experience with cheap Chinese knock off switching supplies, there's no way I'd waste a dime on this. I had a phone charger that was a Chinese cheapie fill my house and yard with S9+ noise from AM broadcast to past 30MHz. (By 6m it was down to S6).
Being the critic I tend to be, I have to ask what your goal is. If you run down 12v batteries to 10-11 volts using a voltage booster, they're ruined after a few cycles. If you need more time before recharging, get a bigger battery or reduce the load; devices like this are going to have you wrecking expensive 12v batteries right and left. A new car battery costs 3-4 times one of these converters...
Ed/K8DI