Topics

DC-DC Voltage booster

Alan Beagley

Has anyone used anything like this with success?

https://www.amazon.com/Regulator-13-8V15A-DCMWX-converter-waterproof/dp/B01N4EIJVX

Or is there anything designed specifically for amateur radio use other than the MFJ-4416C?

Alan NV8A

Ed Walters K8DI

Given my recent experience with cheap Chinese knock off switching supplies, there's no way I'd waste a dime on this. I had a phone charger that was a Chinese cheapie fill my house and yard with S9+ noise from AM broadcast to past 30MHz. (By 6m it was down to S6).

Being the critic I tend to be, I have to ask what your goal is. If you run down 12v batteries to 10-11 volts using a voltage booster, they're ruined after a few cycles. If you need more time before recharging, get a bigger battery or reduce the load; devices like this are going to have you wrecking expensive 12v batteries right and left. A new car battery costs 3-4 times one of these converters...

Ed/K8DI

-----Original Message-----
From: k8daa@k8daa.groups.io [mailto:k8daa@k8daa.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan Beagley
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2019 3:58 PM
To: k8daa@k8daa.groups.io
Subject: [k8daa] DC-DC Voltage booster

>
https://www.amazon.com/Regulator-13-8V15A-DCMWX-converter-waterproof/dp/B01N4EIJVX

Or is there anything designed specifically for amateur radio use other
than the MFJ-4416C?

Alan NV8A

Alan Beagley

The goal is to maintain the voltage to my radio at 13.8 when/if running from my two GC2 batteries (Golf Cart batteries that are designed to be run down a fair way before recharging) in series. Even on float charge, the voltage is only 13.6, and that will fall off once the AC supply fails.

Alan NV8A

On 5/6/19 4:25 PM, Ed Walters K8DI wrote:
Given my recent experience with cheap Chinese knock off switching supplies, there's no way I'd waste a dime on this. I had a phone charger that was a Chinese cheapie fill my house and yard with S9+ noise from AM broadcast to past 30MHz. (By 6m it was down to S6).
Being the critic I tend to be, I have to ask what your goal is. If you run down 12v batteries to 10-11 volts using a voltage booster, they're ruined after a few cycles. If you need more time before recharging, get a bigger battery or reduce the load; devices like this are going to have you wrecking expensive 12v batteries right and left. A new car battery costs 3-4 times one of these converters...
Ed/K8DI
From: k8daa@k8daa.groups.io [mailto:k8daa@k8daa.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan Beagley
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2019 3:58 PM

>
than the MFJ-4416C?
Alan NV8A

Jeff Nonhof KD8THX

Hi Alan,

Without a schematic, FCC or UL # there's no way to know what's inside the box. It could be very well built or maybe not.

My concern with devices like this is if the device has overvoltage protection. Without that if the voltage regulator fails there could be 20-30 VDC on the output. Enough to certainly cause extensive damage to a radio. In the May 2017 QST page 32 there's plans for an overvoltage protection module that is inexpensive to make and would do the job. Under voltage protection could also be added to the OV protector to save the batteries.

RFI can be a problem with some of these devices. Some appropriate shielding added to the bottom and ferrite chokes on the IO would probably resolve that.

Don't forget to add an appropriate fuse to the input of the device.

Jeff - KD8THX

Sent: Monday, May 6, 2019 3:58 PM

>

than the MFJ-4416C?

Alan NV8A