Topics

Antenna mystery

Jared Smith

I took this antenna down and can not identify it. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge they can add? Before I took it down i put my analyzer to it and it was 1.1:1 or better on 10 15 and 20m. The only part with ID on it was the BN-86 Hygain balun. Help Please.

Thanks
N8NOZ

Paul Dobosz

Hi Jared,

It looks a lot like a Moseley TA-33 tribander that was very popular in the 1950's through the 1980's.  The balun is a HyGain BN86 that was frequently used with the TA33 and a lot of other trib-anders since the driven element feeds did not include a balun and it was designed fit on the boom of any HF yagi at the driven element feed point.

Moseley is still in business but has gotten much smaller and don't advertise very much  The TA33 was one of the most rugged trap tri-banders.  Moseley's unique double trap for 10m and 15m instead of two traps like the competing HyGain TH3 was unique.  The traps were fatter than competitors like the ones shown in the picture.

The only thing that I'm unsure of is the mechanical connection of the driven element to the boom which doesn't match my recollection of the Moseley driven element attachment configuration.  It may have been re-worked but it is hard to see with enough detail from the photo you provided.  The traps sure look like Moseley leading me to the conclusion that at sometime an owner might have rebuilt that part of the antenna for better structural integrity.

73 - Paul - K8PD

On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 4:40 PM Jared Smith <alstonsailor@...> wrote:
I took this antenna down and can not identify it. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge they can add? Before I took it down i put my analyzer to it and it was 1.1:1 or better on 10 15 and 20m. The only part with ID on it was the BN-86 Hygain balun. Help Please.

Thanks
N8NOZ

Jim Lamberts

Looks like a hi gain jr. Does the balam have a name on it? Had on like it, it was my first tribander

Jim KC8KE

I took this antenna down and can not identify it. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge they can add? Before I took it down i put my analyzer to it and it was 1.1:1 or better on 10 15 and 20m. The only part with ID on it was the BN-86 Hygain balun. Help Please.

Thanks

N8NOZ

Paul Dobosz

As I recall HyGain's TH Series tribanders used separate traps for 10 and 15 meters and the ends of the traps were tapered aluminum rather than having plastic caps like the ones in the picture.  Moseley used a double trap with the outer shell of the trap and inductance from the 10M section providing the extra 15M extension.  Perhaps HyGain also built antennas in that configuration but I don't recall seeing them.

73 - Paul - K8PD

On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 11:08 AM Jim Lamberts <jlamberts@...> wrote:

Looks like a hi gain jr. Does the balam have a name on it? Had on like it, it was my first tribander

Jim KC8KE

I took this antenna down and can not identify it. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge they can add? Before I took it down i put my analyzer to it and it was 1.1:1 or better on 10 15 and 20m. The only part with ID on it was the BN-86 Hygain balun. Help Please.

Thanks

N8NOZ

jared smith

Yes. It says hygain electronics Lincoln Nebraska

On Dec 31, 2018, at 11:38, Paul Dobosz <pjdobosz@...> wrote:

[...]

Was HyGain on the antenna or on the BN-86?  The BN86 was sold separately and was used on lots of non-HyGain antennas since there was not a boom mounted competitor in that era ... Many just used a coil of coax if they didn't buy a BN-86 for their beams.

73 - Paul - K8PD

On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 11:48 AM jared smith <alstonsailor@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes that could be but the driven element looks to be hy gain with the element in a plastic tube mosey used a flat stock with the element screwed to  insulators.

I took this antenna down and can not identify it. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge they can add? Before I took it down i put my analyzer to it and it was 1.1:1 or better on 10 15 and 20m. The only part with ID on it was the BN-86 Hygain balun. Help Please.

Thanks

N8NOZ

Paul Dobosz

The driven element mounting didn’t look like Moseley but the traps sure did hard to tell from the picture.  Moseley used a flat piece with saddles and U bolts as I recall.

73 - Paul - K8PD

On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 1:24 PM Jim Lamberts <jlamberts@...> wrote:

Yes that could be but the driven element looks to be hy gain with the element in a plastic tube mosey used a flat stock with the element screwed to  insulators.

I took this antenna down and can not identify it. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge they can add? Before I took it down i put my analyzer to it and it was 1.1:1 or better on 10 15 and 20m. The only part with ID on it was the BN-86 Hygain balun. Help Please.

Thanks

N8NOZ

jared smith

The balun was the only part of the antenna that had any writing on it. Should I take anymore pictures?